Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Was it everything you were expecting?"

Asks Keri as we drive away from the grass parking lot, Farris Wheel, and funnel cakes. "I think so," I honestly replied, "I'm really not sure what I was expecting."

The Oklahoma State Fair is in many ways the premier event in Oklahoma and also where we spent the better part of our Saturday. And being that it was a fair and carnies being the people they are, Andrew was tempted into trading his better judgement for pride in a bid to win his lovely lady a prize.


When Andrew failed, Keri traded her better judgement for an attempt to show Andrew up in throwing skills. In the end, the carny was the only winner.

Looking to reconcile his pride, Andrew quickly sought a carny that peddled a game he would have a better chance of winning.


Brawn for brawn the Randalf lovers proved equally matched in a demonstration of Marine Core fitness. Winning a water bottle and key-chain for their efforts.

Goaded by Andrew, I abandoned my modesty and looked up to the unnecessarily high bar. In this moment I recalled the two previous times I've tested my lats for a Marine. Once because my father wanted to prove how strong his eight year old was and the second time later in high school in an effort to impress a girl. Now once again, here I was - high bar and Marine - tasked to win Andrew a shirt. In the 45 seconds that followed, I learned doing pull-ups to win a shirt is a whole lot easier than doing pull-ups to win a heart.

So I'm not really sure what I was expecting from the state fair - but after eating enough funnel cake and smelling enough stockyard animals - you stop thinking do deeply and just reflect pleasantly, thankful this kind of thing only happens once a year.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading about the adventure at the state fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I was right there eating funnel cakes with you, but glad it was you three in the pull-ups contest -- go Air Force!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the Marine T-shirt. This also rekindled memories of the Colorado State Fair. You and your bros milked a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that is what I would expect to be the highlights of an OK state fair. I'm sure it may be the highlight of some of the local's year...but wait I guess you too are now considered to be that local flare. Oh you guys add so much to that state.

    Does Oklahoma celebrate an Octoberfest or was this the better option for the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the Great State Fair of Oklahoma...or as it's become in recent years, the Not-So-Great State Fair... Be that as it may, my mom has decided that my three-year absence is unacceptable, and I'll be flying in this weekend to take part in the annual Okie festivities. : ) Holla.

    ReplyDelete